Friday, August 26, 2016

Solo Trip to Penang 重游槟城单人行


PhotoGrid_1472187222937[1]

I flew back to Penang for a short trip one morning. Getting used to travelling solo. I boarded public bus 401E after arriving at Penang Airport and enjoyed the one hour ride to Komtar bus terminal in the city.

I chose to stay at the Rainhill Guesthouse at Lebuh Presgrave again as its location is convenient and accessible to lots of good food. Also I like the company of owner Jason who is helpful and has lots of stories to share.

PG15
my Giraffe room  :)


There was a tinge of regret on my last day of stay though. Due to the convenience of yummy street food that's just a stone's throw from my guesthouse, I overindulged. Agonising over the excess weight now. hahahaha.....

But I enjoyed my food hunt this time as Jason has many good food recommendations.

PhotoGrid_1472187146918[1]

After a quick wash up at the guesthouse, I went for a late lunch meeting at a nearby Japanese restaurant. Not feeling particularly hungry, I opted for some light snacks and a cute drink called My Babychino.

We had almost ended our meal but my drink was nowhere to be seen. My Penang associate was annoyed with the slow service but the cheerful waitress calmed him down with her patience and smiles.

PhotoGrid_1472188758312

After the meal, I returned to my guesthouse for a nap as I woke up very early that morning. Woke up around 5 in the evening, showered and went out to meet a friend for dinner.

Passing by the Hokkien prawn noodle stall on my way to Georgetown, I saw the irresistible crispy roast pork..... OMG!

PhotoGrid_1472188159550

I braked and detoured for a bowl of delicious prawn noodles with roast pork and a bowl of icy cold cendol. Bliss. haha...... would I still have room for dinner?

PhotoGrid_1472264848275[1]

On the way to the meeting place, I saw this crowded coffee place in an alley. People were eating toasts at this hour!?

This was the old Hainanese coffee shop I was looking for on my previous two trips to Penang. It just popped up when I was not looking high and low for it. ish.

PhotoGrid_1472187841836

I went inside the alley, found an empty table before ordering coffee and toast. There was a queue so I had to wait a while for my order. I made use of the waiting time to snap some pictures.


PhotoGrid_1472189002319

Watched the workers toasting bread in this old fashioned charcoal stove which consists of three compartments.  A worker squatting in front of it, was toasting bread at the bottom compartment. He explained that the top compartment was for steaming bread and they burn the charcoal in the middle. What a clever idea!


PhotoGrid_1472189182285


After a cup of thick aromatic Hainanese coffee, I met up with a friend at a nearby coffee shop to pick up some purchases. This particular coffee shop has a strange rule that visitors must order at least one drink or else they cannot sit within their premises.

My friend wanted to bring me for a feast but I chose to try the lobak (braised five spice pork wrapped in a beancurd skin). The stall owner didn't have much items left, so I chose a few and shared with my friend.

Of course we ordered drinks or else we would get kicked out by the coffee shop owner who was watching us like a hawk. LOL

I took a stroll back to my guest house after the meeting.


单身一人重游槟城, 自己搭公共巴士四处游。住在当地的家庭式旅馆, 位于三条路的雨山旅馆是我的最佳选择。主人很健谈, 会介绍好多好玩、好吃的地方。

放下行李就和友人聚餐。因为早上很早起身, 没什么胃口, 吃了一点简单的食物就回旅馆睡午觉。

休息一会儿, 出门会朋友时经过三条路大牌档。看到福建虾面档刚烧好的香脆烧肉, 忍不住停下脚步要了一碗福建虾面加烧肉和一碗煎蕊。。。 哈哈 。。。

前往目的地途中, 眼睛又坏了。。。无意间看到了我找了很久的地方 - 多春茶室。非常简陋的茶室。。。不管了, 进去看看!

要吃晚餐的时刻还有这么多人在吃炭烤面包! 来到这个经典的海南茶室, 不为别的,就为了尝尝这里的传统炭烤面包和香浓醇厚的海南咖啡。终于尝到了60几年的老字号海南咖啡, 我要的古早味。

托朋友帮我买东西, 与他一起吃饭, 他还请我吃槟城卤肉。吃过晚饭, 自己慢慢走路回旅馆。


2 comments: