Friday, December 02, 2016

Reskilling for Jobs and Lifelong Learning - SkillsFuture Programme 终生学习和技能掌握之旅


I receive my S$500 SkillsFuture credit from the government on January and have yet to claim it.

Any Singapore Citizen above the age of 25 is eligible for an initial S$500 SkillsFuture credit that we can use to learn new skills or for skills development. These credits can be used on top of any government subsidies, and they will not expire. The government will provide periodic top-ups, so I might accumulate my credits.


I had some difficulty understanding the claiming process initially as it was so confusing with the many courses and different subsidies, I gave up trying until November when I realise the year was coming to an end and I have not utilise my SkillsFuture credits yet.

So on 18 November 2016, I went to NTUC Learning Hub at Bras Basah to consult a customer service representative. She simply told me to "check the website lah". *facepalm*

So my long journey of understanding the SkillsFuture Programme starts all over again.

Not everyone is computer savvy nor has access to a computer, if one has to go through so much trouble to claim the credits, he/she would just give up.


There are more than 10,000 courses to choose from. I decided on what I want to learn and started comparing the training providers and the syllabus of their courses. Glad that the courses I want to sign up for do not need to be related to my work.

I went to Lifelong Learning Institute at Paya Lebar and was fortunate to meet a Ms Lam who guided me on the registering process and gave me lots of info on courses. She was very encouraging and recommended me to Asian Culinary Institute which was on the 3rd level of the building. I went to take a look and was truly impressed by the set up and courses. They have short 1-day courses too.


I was in Jurong East visiting a relative on a Thursday when I noticed e2i West at Devan Nair Institute for Employment and Employability. Curious, I went in to make enquiries and was served by a friendly and helpful Susan who walked me through the various programmes. She even photocopied some course information for me. Wow. Thumbs up!

Our Government hope to encourage workers to "learn at every age". For Singaporeans aged 40 and above, a minimum of 90 per cent of training costs for Government approved courses will be subsidised. Some needy citizens would even be paid for the hours of their training.

Armed with more knowledge and better understanding of using my SkillsFuture Credit, I shortlisted 3 short practical courses and proceeded to register personally at ITE College East.


I am placed on waiting list for one course and am successfully registered for the other two. I am looking forward to going back to school, learning new skills and making new friends. haha....

With over 10,000 SkillsFuture courses on offer,  take ownership of your self-development and career progression by planning your learning journey before using your SkillsFuture Credit.

The credit can only be used for education and training in Government-supported courses. These include courses at PA, polytechnics, universities and institutes. You can also use it to subsidise courses by the Workforce Development Authority, or WDA. Explore the full list of approved courses at the SkillsFuture Credit Course Directory here.

For videos and user guides on claiming your SkillsFuture Credit, click this help 

Have fun learning!

e2i (Employment and Employability Institute)
Telephone: 6474 0606
Operating hours:
Mondays to Fridays: 9:00 am to 5:00 pm
Saturdays: 9:00 am to 1:00 pm
Closed on Sundays & Public Holidays

e2i West
Devan Nair Institute for Employment and Employability
80 Jurong East St 21, Level 2, Singapore 609607

Workforce Singapore (WSG) Career Centres
Telephone: 6883 5885
Operating Hours:
Mondays to Fridays: 9:00 am to 5:00 pm
 Saturdays: 9:00 am to 1:00 pm
 Closed on Sundays & Public Holidays

Lifelong Learning Institute @ Paya Lebar 11 Eunos Road 8, #02-02, Singapore 408601


今年一月, 每名25岁以上的新加坡人都获得首笔总值S$500的未来技能培训补助, 接下来政府会定期填补款额。这笔培训补助未设使用期限,我们可随时利用补助。 大家可以利用未来技能培训补助进修, 供选择的课程超过一万项,涵盖57个领域。

这些课程包括获新加坡劳动力发展局津贴的新技能资格(WSQ)技能课程、大专学府和工艺教育学院、人民协会、银发族资讯通信中心 (Silver Infocomm Junction)等办的课程。

从网站 www.skillsfuture.sg/credit 查询课程名单, 课程有中餐烹饪、基本电脑课程、一些课程以网上学习为授课方式,也有短期的进修课程。

这两个月我忙着研究有哪些项目或课程能够让我参与,提升自我,学习新技能,活到老学到老。我选的进修课程都没有测验或评估,没有‘压力’。

明天, 设在巴耶利峇终身学习学院的 Asian Culinary Institute 将举行开放日, 到时可以看到名厨的示范。大家可以去看看, 并利用未来技能培训补助进修课程。


No comments:

Post a Comment