A Hainanese elder came visiting with his two grandchildren and brought me a kampung (free range) chicken that he reared. Since they came all the way from the northern part of Singapore to visit us in the east, I invited them to stay for dinner.
I asked my son to bring them for a walk at the beach (East Coast Park) and have some refreshments at a fast food restaurant while I cooked dinner.
I decided to cook Hainanese chicken rice with the kampung chicken. Remembering the chicken rice balls I ate one week ago, I couldn't wait to try my hands making them for the kids. It would be fun eating these traditional rice balls. But moulding the rice balls was quite tricky, the steaming hot rice was almost too hot for me to handle. Glad they turned out well. The kids just went bonkers for the chicken rice balls, haha....
Cooked the Hainanese Chap Chye (Hainanese Mixed Vegetable Stew) again because my family members didn't have enough of it the last time. The elders enjoyed this dinner very much. *happy*
My hubby was initially sceptical that I could pull this off. The elders' praises and empty bowls are testament to my cooking skills. A Teochew cooking authentic and delicious Hainanese dishes. Yes!!!
Cooking Hainanese Chicken
Ingredients 食材 ：
2 kg chicken 鸡
spring onion 葱
pandan leaves 香兰叶
Method 做法 ：
1. Clean and wash the chicken. Remove and keep the chicken fat for cooking rice.
2. Rub salt and pepper inside and on the outside of the chicken. Put garlic, ginger, spring onion and pandan leaves into the cavity of the chicken. Leave for 30 minutes.
3. (Cooking time depends on size of your chicken) Boil water in a big pot, hold marinated chicken by the neck while immersing its body in the hot water. Lower heat and cooked for 10 minutes before turning off the fire. Cover the pot with a lid and wait out until water cools down.
4. Poke a chopstick into one of the drumsticks to see if the meat is cooked. Wash the chicken under running tap.
5. Place the chicken in a bowl of icy cold water for 15 minutes. This process keeps the chicken flesh tender and a layer of jelly will form between the chicken skin and meat
6. Remove chicken and wipe dry, cut into pieces and serve with condiments and rice.
Cooking Hainanese Chicken Rice
1. Wash the rice. Heat wok and put in some butter, fry garlic, ginger and pandan leaves first until fragrant before adding the rice grains to fry. Pour the fried ingredients into a cooker, add in suitable amount of chicken stock to cook.
Chilli Sauce 辣椒醬
chilli padi 小辣椒
ginger 姜 (切片)
Seasoning 调味 :
lime juice 酸柑汁
chicken stock 鸡汤
Blend the chillies, garlic, shallot and ginger into a paste. Season with salt, chicken stock and lime juice.
把辣椒、蒜、葱、姜, 搅成泥或放进石臼里舂烂。在搅匀的辣椒里放入适量的盐, 倒入鸡汤. 最后放入酸柑汁。
3 essential condiments to go with Hainanese Chicken Rice - chilli sauce, ginger sauce and dark soy sauce.
长辈带了两个孙子来我们家坐坐, 还客气的送来自己养的甘榜鸡。我留他们吃晚饭, 煮了杯贡 (海南鸡饭团) 还煮海南杂菜, 大人小孩们都乐开怀, 家里顿时热闹起来。这餐饭, 几位老人家吃得最开心。
有没有看到饭粒? 扎实的鸡饭团, 不是硬压的, 饭不能烂, 考功夫。