Monday, May 02, 2016

Singapore HeritageFest 2016 : A Taste of Heritage 新加坡街边饮食文化

13131747_10153913346631195_844047295646906271_o

I didn't know that food stalls used to line the grounds of the National Museum in the 1960s. I was not born yet.

But I got to relive the 1960s street food culture at the National Museum on the last night of April 2016. I had gone to support my good friends who were participating in the event.

Taste

From 6 pm , the front lawn of the National Museum was lined with street food stalls that take me back to the 1960s. There were long, snaking queues in front of each stall.

I took a walk through the 15 stalls taking part in the event, all were run by second- and third-generation young entrepreneurs who are running their family business.

Taste2 (1)


Local dishes like satay, chicken rice, rojak, laksa, wanton mee and traditional snacks were sold. At the side of each stall was a display board where one could get to know the stories behind each stall.

Some of the participants are Tong Heng Confectionery, HarriAnns Nonya Table, Katong Laksa, The Prata Place, Cho Kee Wanton Mee and Tan's Tu Tu Coconut Cake.

Taste3


I queued for a plate of beef rendang at Rumah Makan Minang and was dismayed at having to queue 45 minutes for a small plate of the dish at S$4. The extremely hot and humid weather was probably the cause of my hunger. I was famished and after my meal of rice, I queued for a slice of sugee cake. :D

I had to sit on the lawn to eat my dinner as all the available tables and chairs were occupied.

The queue at the drinks stall was so long, I gave up buying beverages.

Taste4

There was entertainment while I ate my dinner. I watched an Indian dance performance and then a Chinese puppet show.

Singapore HeritageFest 2016 runs from Apr 29 to May 15.


在四月的最后一夜, 我出席新加坡文化遗产节2016之新加坡街边饮食文化活动。

主办方在新加坡国家博物馆外设立摊位,全部做成上世纪60年代街边热闹小贩的街景。并且邀请15个第二代和第三代小贩接班人在现场摆摊售卖本地美食。老字号美食摊卖的食物有沙爹、罗惹、嘟嘟糕、椰蛋挞、巴东饭和云吞面等。

除此之外,现场也有戏曲表演、印度舞蹈和潮州铁枝木偶戏等精彩表演。

今年的新加坡文化遗产节将从4月29日举行至5月15日。

6 comments:

  1. Wow, interesting event. I think I read about it a few days ago but totally forgotten about it. Must be quite a sight to be brought back to the 1960s.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Personally I think the tourists would find it more interesting.

      There are not enough table and chairs to sit down and eat the food. The hawkers are still around, we can visit them any time.

      Delete
  2. I love street food culture pretty much everywhere in the world! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have yet to try street food in Hong Kong. Must do it one day.

      Delete
  3. Wow! I would love to go to such an event! :)

    ReplyDelete