Wednesday, March 09, 2016

Partial Solar Eclipse Seen in Singapore

e1

I watched a rare and special astronomical event this morning from 8.15 am to 9.30 am - a partial solar eclipse (90 per cent of the sun was obscured by the moon) in Singapore.

e3

Crowds gathered on early Wednesday morning at East Coast Park to witness the rare astronomical event. A few schools brought their students to witness this too.

A total eclipse took place in Indonesia where the sun was completely engulfed by the moon.

1933411_10153772169986195_9105463693495398667_o

I was looking at the sun directly without any form of protection. I was told it is very dangerous as it can cause permanent eye injury, including blindness. As the retina of the eye has no pain receptors, the effects of eye injury may only be noticed a few hours later. Oops.

A kind lady lent me a piece of solar filter and a young girl also offered me a welder's mask. I made some new friends. Together we sat on the beach and watched the sun slowly being engulfed. *smiles*

e2

 The eclipse ended at about 9.30am.


No comments:

Post a Comment