Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Serve your country, not the xxx family

After reading my post on MP for Marine Parade GRC Lim Biow Chuan, several readers & friends, questioned me on my support for him. They pointed to his maiden speech in Parliament, where a portion of MP Lim Biow Chuan's speech was highlighted by a ST report. My friends chided me for siding with him & accused me of being a PLP.

"MP for Marine Parade GRC Lim Biow Chuan called on Singaporeans to be more gracious and compassionate and said Singapore is fast becoming a nation of complainers. While the Government can set the tone, he urged Singaporeans to be "encouragers" — not only in encouraging fellow citizens, but also pushing the society to be an inclusive and cohesive one. "What makes a country great? It is not just the laws … the efficiency or the beautiful buildings but the people that make it great," Mr Lim said.

Several bloggers commented on that in their blogs. It was bad. "Die!" I thought to myself. Initially I thought MP Lim had gone raving & ranting on Singaporeans. I didn't listen to his speech because I left Parliament House early that day. But when I had the chance to view the video (http://www.channelnewasia.com/parliament/videoarchives.htm), it was not that bad lah! These people didn't have a chance to read the full content of his speech.

There are only several MPs & Ministers whom I respect. They are there to sincerely serve Singapore & its people. MP Lim is one of those. He's under pressure now, because I'm going to mention him very often in my blog. hahaha.....

Health Minister Khaw Boon Wan, no nonsense one. Very practical, very down to earth. A devouted Buddhist, I see him quite often at a temple in Balestier.

I have great respect for Dr Lee Boon Yang. He was my MP when I was living in Whampoa. He was also the Minister for MOM then. I seek his help for the approval to hire a foreign maid as my application was rejected. I had to look after 2 elderly parents-in-law & a newborn baby then. He was kind and gave me advice. He was so fatherly.

Years later, when I met him at a Chinese New Year Party at Istana, I brought that up to him & thanked him. He couldn't remember me but he was very nice about it & glad that his letter did help me. He chatted with me & asked about my family for about 20 minutes amidst the many requests for photo taking with him.

The Mr Brown case was a regretful one. Up to now, I don't believe he asked that PR woman to write that letter. One day, I'm going to ask him personally if he did give instruction to do that.
MySpace
I've turned MP-watching now. Oh, did I mention I was looking for a house in Pasir Ris?

No comments:

Post a Comment