Friday, November 10, 2006

MP Sin Boon Ann - Speech of the day!

I am not into politics. I hate politics. My son has taken an interest in it. I have to read up and learn in order to answer or debate his many queries.

I sat in to observe the 1st day of the 11th Parliamentary Meeting. 15 MPs spoke that day, including 7 new faces. The MPs called for more to be done to bridge the widening income gaps.

I sat up when Tampines GRC MP Sin Boon Ann spoke. He mentioned the episode of 'the 18-year-old RJC blogger'. He was of course referring to the Wee Shu Min incident. I was surprised he brought it up in Parliament. I thought Ang Mo Kio MP Wee Siew Kim, who is the father of WSM, wished there was a hole to hide himself then. He looked uneasy sitting opposite MM, SM and PM.

MP Sin spoke of Singaporeans who view society as a divide between the elites and the common citizens, the gifted and the ordinary. He spoke on the need to break down the institution of snobbery within our society. It should start in the civil service. He said that in the civil service, the overseas scholars are favoured over non-scholars. They are destined for promotions & have better prospects.

I could have stood up to cheer and applaud him if it is allowed in the public gallery.



Way to go, Sir!

Jurong GRC MP Halimah Yacob spoke on providing a stronger safety net for the needy. She proposed 5 ways.

I have always found her to be a voice for Singaporeans, especially the blue-collar working class.

Hong Kah GRC MP Dr Amy Khor warned against welfare schemes that would erode people's will to work. She also spoke on immigration issues regarding the foreigners that seek to sink their roots here.

Holland-Bukit Timah GRC MP Christopher De Souza spoke on the issue of foreign talents who do not have to do National Service and their using Singapore only as a springboard to other countries.

The Parliamentary Meeting started at 1.30 pm. There was a 15-minute rest before resuming at 4.15 pm. I left at 6 pm after Pasir Ris-Punggol MP Teo Ser Luck's speech. I had to meet my boys for dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment