Wednesday, December 28, 2005

Preparing for a pandemic
The Straits Times, Home page H6, December 28, 2005 http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg

After the SARS outbreak in 2003, our government reveals an emergency plan to deal with a flu pandemic today.

The thought of thousands dying from this is horrific. Since the SARS episode, I have a ready supply of thermometers, surgical masks(200 pieces!) and antiseptic handwash. I can remember the crazy rush for surgical masks. I'm not going to be caught offguard when this happens.

It was very frightening back then. There were many people dying from SARS each day. When we did go out, I made the kids wear masks and snapped at them when they so much as touch a railing or lift buttons.

Then there was the Dengue Outbreak this year. I was down with Dengue in early January & almost died of it. My blood platelets count was so low that I needed a transfusion. The pain was horrible. I was so sick. I was hospitalised for 2 weeks, my hospital bill came up to almost S$9000. All because of a tiny insect.

I made it. Some people didn't.

Life is so fragile & unpreditable.

No comments:

Post a Comment