Thursday, May 29, 2014

Wah Cai Crispy Durian Fritters @ Johor Bahru

20140525_213944_1
Yummilicious crispy durian fritters

I am not a lover of deep fried foods. Before I went on this food hunt to Skudai in Malaysia, some FB friends gave me a list of yummy foods to taste, Wah Cai's crispy durian fritters was one of the must-eat. :D

Together with a friend and hubby, we ate at a popular yong tau hu shop which was located on the same row as Wah Cai. My friend wanted to buy a couple of the famous snacks for his wife so I joined the queue. I ordered a banana fritter, three 3-in-1 Nian Gao and three durian fritters.

Wah Cai had been deep-frying his snacks non-stop since I arrived for lunch. He was frying his best seller, the 3-in-1 Nian Gao (traditional sticky glutinous rice cake) while the queue waited patiently. I went to the front and sides of the stall to take photos of him frying.

I noticed that he deep-fried the nian gao twice. A thick piece of nian gao was sandwiched between yam and sweet potato slices. It would be a great after-lunch dessert, but I couldn't eat after a heavy meal so I brought the snacks back for my family. My son ate them for supper around 11pm, the crust remained crispy.

The durian fritter is our favourite! The creamy D24 durian filling was bitter sweet.... the crispy durian fritters are simply to die for.

PhotoGrid_1401060479567

3-in-1 Nian Gao       RM2
Durian fritters          RM 3
Banana                   RM1.20

Restoran Wah Cai 华仔3合1招牌炸年糕
Address: 86, Jalan Pahlawan 2, Taman Ungku Tun Aminah, Skudai, 81300 Johor Baru

Tel: 019-7505616 (Wah Zai)
Opening hours: 9am-5pm (Daily,closed every fortnight Wed);
730am-5pm (Singapore and Malaysia public holidays).

5 comments: