Tuesday, November 08, 2011

Life-long Employability Programme by Southeast CDC and WDA - WW

matured students learning Word Processing 

I have been hearing quite a number of Singaporeans complaining about the difficulty of finding a job these days. One day in October, I popped into the South East Community Development Council (SECDC) Career Centre to look for a job.

I was assigned Career Consultant Fazle who spent over an hour providing me with personalised career consultation services, i.e. one-to-one career consultation to help me in my career management. He was very patient and reassuring.

I was recommended to go for an ICDL (International Computer Driving Lesson) Certification Programme.

In this world of changes, there is no longer life-long employment but life-long employability. CDCs and the WDA (Workforce Development Agency) want to enhance the employability and competitiveness of Singaporeans in the workforce, from the young to old workers, from the rank-and-file to professionals, managers and executives. I am grateful for the subsidized training to ensure better employment for me.

trainer teaching us Spreadsheet Function 

Fazle sent me for Word Processing, Excel and Powerpoint Presentation training. Each module lasted 3 full days (8.30 am to 5.30 pm) per week. At the end of each module, there was an assessment test. I did pretty well for all the tests despite a rusty brain and the daydreaming in class. lol

For eligible candidates, each module which costs more than S$450 per candidate, is fully subsidized by the government and they also get a training allowance for the whole course. Well-off candidates pay a nominal fee for the training and do not get a training allowance.

break time with my course mates 

The trainers are fully qualified, experienced and professional. It's not easy teaching a class of matured students who have varying standards of comprehension. The students were encouraged to help one another, matching the weaker ones with a fast learner.

We have two 15-minute breaks each day and refreshments were provided. We are truly thankful for the yummy snacks and hot beverages. What touches me most is two types of snacks were served each time and they were not repeated throughout our training.

You should see the delighted faces of some less well-off students as they consumed these snacks, which they probably cannot afford.  

break-time snacks provided by SECDC

Having left school for many years, it takes a while for me to used to the "back-to-school" routine. I enjoyed my 3 weeks of training and am looking forward to attending more courses and meeting new friends.

If you are a Singaporean or Permanent Resident residing in the South East District and would like to have a career consultation, please call 6243 8753 for an appointment.  Each consultation will take about 45 minutes to an hour.

Please bring along the following items to your appointment:





  • Your NRIC
  • Your resume
  • Your training and educational certificates

  • SOUTH EAST CDC CAREER CENTRE
    10 Eunos Road 8 #02-01 Singapore Post Centre Singapore 408600
    Tel: 6243 8753
    www.southeastcdc.org.sg
    Mon – Fri 8:30 am – 5:00 pm
    Sat 8:30 am – 1:00 pm
    Closed on weekends and public holidays.


    9 comments:

    1. Interesting sharing from you. Yes, I have heard of my clients who attend such trainings appreciating the refreshments and so forth.

      ReplyDelete
    2. oceanskies,
      You send clients for these trainings too? Wonderful programme!

      ReplyDelete
    3. Sounds like a great program that people can really benefit from in the fast changing world.

      ReplyDelete
    4. If this is a wordless wednesday I wonder how long a wordful Wednesday would be ! Sorry the sun has burnt my brain I am on holidays !

      ReplyDelete
    5. Good to hear you had a wonderful training session and the new friends you made along the way. Nice that you are constantly keeping current and relevant in your line of work through such seminars. :)

      ReplyDelete
    6. TGIF and I wish you a wonderful weekend. My B just got back from a seminar himself so I am def looking forward to some RnR time with him this weekend, hugs! :)

      ReplyDelete
    7. I am glad people are taking advantage of this program. It also sounds like a good place to meet new people and network and maybe gain weight. So now you know how to do mail merge in Word, formulas in Excel and slideshows in Powerpoint? ;)

      ReplyDelete
    8. it's great that you found the course enjoyable and glad you did well in all your tests.

      ReplyDelete
    9. This is very interesting.
      I did arrange such training in the late 1990'ies here in Norway.
      Today, "everyone" can do it, so such classes are not very much asked for anylonger.

      Greetings
      Tor
      Norway

      btw. I had lunch with RennyBA to day.

      ReplyDelete