Friday, March 28, 2014

No Birds in the Trees - Photohunt

P1340211
Jackfruit tree

Photohunt theme : Birds/ trees

On my recent trip to Ho Chi Minh City in Vietnam, I found it an amazing country with lots of interesting stories. Every day my mouth stayed wide-open as I listened to the stories told by the locals. Here are some interesting discoveries.

The first thing that caught the eyes of tourists when they approached the entrance of the famous Cu Chi Tunnels was this jackfruit tree. It was laden with low lying fruits. I doubt they are edible. I would not dare to taste them. Why?

P1340192
a rubber plantation where corpses were buried 

Our tour guide told us that many Vietnamese died during the Vietnam War. There were hundreds of corpses that the villagers would just dig a large hole and buried all the bodies in it. Then they plant trees over the burial plot. The trees grow big and strong due to the fertilizer underneath.

She added that in Vietnam, when one sees lots of fruits growing on trees or the fruits taste sweeter than usual, they are probably getting their nutrients from what are buried underneath the trees. *puke*

P1340315

LOOK at the size of these raw cashew nuts!! 
One of the guards picked a huge sack of cashew fruits and offered these to me, 
I didn't dare to touch them. *offer prayers* 

P1340540
a bundle of hanging cables on the street

On my morning walk near my hotel, I noticed there were huge bundles of neatly tied up hanging cables along each street.

P1340157
having meals at the sides of street 

A common sight on the streets of HCMC, the locals having their meals and drinks on stools by the roadside.

I notice something weird. At the Cu Chi Tunnels, I didn't hear the chirping of birds. Neither do I see birds in the trees near my hotel. Notice that the cables and ground under the trees were clean and have no birds' droppings?

P1340392

The only birds from my HCMC trip, this giant lacquer art piece costs a bomb. :)




26 comments:

  1. I like those birds, ECL. Next time I eat cashews I will remember the huge ones!! Happy weekend,

    bird & tree

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can bring the birds home :) haha.... first time you see such huge cashew nuts too.

      Delete
  2. Oh cashew nuts, interesting. Did you manage to grab some back to singapore? not tiring to have your mouth stayed open? haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't buy any Vietnamese cashew nuts because no one in the family likes nuts :) If you had heard the stories told by the tour guide and locals, your mouth would remain open too. haha...

      Delete
  3. That's a horror fertilizer ! This country has suffered so much !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the citizens who suffered the most, so many innocent people died.

      Delete
  4. the cashew fruit is huge. i remember my home country of philippines has a lot of cashews but i've never seen a big one like this.

    what an interesting country and so much suffering in the past. i have this country in my bucket list.

    frankly my dear

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh.... I didn't know the Philippines grow a lot of cashews too. I love the Filipino mangoes. :)

      You must visit Vietnam, it's such an amazing country.

      Delete
  5. Thanks for sharing those stories...grim but important to remember the horror that is done to people in wartimes, even in death. So weird though that there were no birds, I wonder why that would be.

    http://www.slowtrav.com/blog/andasamo/2014/03/saturday_photohunt_bird_1.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I pray for peace, no war. I wouldn't be able to face the hardships that the Vietnamese went through. It's bone chilling.

      I have no answer to that. I realised that I didn't see or heard birds chirping in the forest only when I check through the photos I took.

      Delete
  6. Thanks for sharing these stories...grim but important to remember the horror that is done to people in war time, even in death. Weird though that there were no birds at all around. I wonder why that would be...

    http://www.slowtrav.com/blog/andasamo/2014/03/saturday_photohunt_bird_1.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ahah - you were on vacation last week! I'm glad you haven't permanently stopped Photo Hunting!

    Re the fertilization of those fertile trees: in Penang, there's a farming area that lies downhill from a very big and old cemetery... Just think of it as nature at work, and people still being able to useful after their death!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My scheduled post for last week's Photohunt didn't publish :(

      Now then I realised what nutrients I have been eating. LOL

      Delete
  8. Never seen a grave yard with fruit trees. Why not.

    As for question about the crisscross marks on tree stump...My husband thought if he cut crisscross marks in stump it would burn out easier.
    He was wrong it did nothing. coffee is on

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a fascinating collection of photos. I've never seen a cashew nut - very cool!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi ECL, oh no, I don't think I would try the cashews too. Very sad stories from the war. Too many lives lost. I find it very curious how there are no birds. I would like to someday visit Vietnam.

    Have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's safer not to try the cashew nuts :P

      I have no idea why there were no birds in that forest. I didn't notice until I was back home going through the photos.

      Delete