Friday, April 25, 2014

Nasi Padang in Singapore - PhotoHunt

20140411_114436

An Indonesian Nasi Padang restaurant in Singapore 

PhotoHunt theme : Ink/ Traces

I ate at a popular Nasi Padang restaurant in Jakarta several years ago. Last month I discovered that it has set up a branch in my neighbourhood.

Neighbours and friends who have eaten at the restaurant strongly recommended it. One night, my husband and I brought some overseas guests to the restaurant. The immense variety of dishes, which are cooked fresh every day, blew us away. Although the dishes were too spicy for our guests, they enjoyed the rich favour and aroma of each dish. We had a delightful dinner.

Food-Garuda-Table

This is how the Indonesian restaurant serves their delicious Nasi Padang dishes in Jakarta. Waiters placed a large number of small platters bearing different types of dishes on our table. Platters that have been touched will be billed; untouched platters are taken away and served to the next table. *shocked*

This seems an unhygienic way to serve food. My dishes may have visited a number of other tables before they landed on mine! Could you see if there are any traces of the dishes having been touched by other diners?

20140411_114436-1 (1)

squid ink

Squids cooked in their own ink. This is too gross to put into my mouth but my guests enjoyed it. 





19 comments:

  1. Wah i wanna try, bring me there please :D yes, i want that squid ink thingy :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The restaurant is within walking distance from my house. If you are in Singapore, call me

      I was told the squid ink is the best dish in that restaurant. I don't like the blackish look. lol

      Delete
  2. Incredible! There is so much choice on the table! I imagine all the different taste in my mouth!!! Like you I think the fact to know the platters go from table to other table can be a bad point for the restaurant cause in front of your food you can ask to yourself and if someone had put his finger in the food! Or if someone had sneeze!!! HiHi!!! ... They should change the concept presenting less but just for a table! I must say that in France now if you want to be sure to taste homemade cooking they must have a label. If not usually all the food is industrial. The right food becomes rare by us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indonesians do generally observe table etiquette when dining on Padang cuisine ie. (1) no sampling of the dishes with your personal fork and spoon (2) you only dish out the portion from the plate with the serving spoon provided (3) if you prefer to eat with your fingers like the local Indonesians, use only your right hand (eating with your left hand is considered Taboo).

      Good idea to have a label on home-made cooking, but then it would cost more. :)

      Delete
    2. Yes, diners do observe the etiquette and anyway, it's the custom. Can just not go there to eat ;)

      Delete
    3. Yes the price can be a little higher and often you have to reserve before in order the restaurant can plan the fresh menu.

      Delete
  3. One of the day, i go your neighbourhood, u bring me there ya, wink wink...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great! We have so much good food in the east coast area, bring a huge appetite. :D

      Delete
  4. All looks delicious, but I would not want other restaurant patrons potentially touching my dish. Thats ew. Happy weekend ECL :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. All of them look yummy. Squid ink is popular in Japan. I like squid ink pasta although my teeth gets black. :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my re the way that that Jakarta restaurant served its nasi padang dishes. I would have run out immediately once I discovered that! :O

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fascinating! I'd love to try a restaurant like that, so many choices. I had squid ink pasta in Venice once and it was quite tasty.

    http://www.slowtrav.com/blog/andasamo/2014/04/saturday_photohunt_ink.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. It looks so delicious I wouldn't mind either !

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi ECL, I'm not sure about the squid ink one. :) but all of the other dishes looks really delicious. I know in some dim sum restaurants I've been to, the server will roll a cart up with a variety of dishes to choose from which is fine, but I'm with you about leaving it actually on the table and untouched dishes moving on to the next customers from there.

    Have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great take on the theme. I wouldn't mind having dishes that weren't used by other tables. When I go to neighborhood pot luck meals there is a chance for many people to have potentially touched dishes so it sort of seems like that to me.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well I was going to say what Carver said -- it reminds me of potluck dinners so I'd probably try it (and besides most of the food looks scrumptious). But I am pretty sure that restaurants here in the states would be prohibited from serving in that way.

    ReplyDelete