Tuesday, March 29, 2016

Tiong Bahru Wall Mural - Home 中峇鲁壁画 "家"

hdb3


Went for a walk in Tiong Bahru estate and also to find the latest wall murals by Singapore muralist Yip Yew Chong.

The "Home" mural is aptly hidden in a quiet corner.

From the simple page on the calendar to the characters on TV to the newspapers ..... it's amazing to see such great details !

hdb4

We had fun spotting the familiar stuff from the past.

The items on the side table look very familiar to what we used to have in my family's 1-room rented flat in the 70s! Noticed the old Bird series $1 note under the ashtray. There's also the Axe Oil, Pipa Gao, the 555 cigarette can, the telephone on the Residential and Commercial copies of Yellow Pages.

I couldn't help laughing when I saw the cane hanging inconspicuously by the window curtain. We had a cane then but it was never used on me. My brothers received canings every time school report books were distributed.

Absolutely nostalgic!

TB mural

This was what our living room looked like in the 70s! We had the black and white TV, the Rediffusion, the single seat chair where my Dad would always sit to read his newspapers.

In the evenings, we sat in front of the TV to watch variety shows. We adored Wang Sa and Ye Fong. They were so hilarious and entertaining.


I was too young and not interested in reading the newspapers, so I didn't know Margaret Thatcher then. Our founding father Mr Lee Kuan Yew was a familiar figure to all the young children in our family. I have never seen the old National Theatre.


Thanks for the wonderful memories.

The "Home" mural - Block 74 Tiong Poh Road


新加坡街头艺术 - 壁画"家" 是本地画家Yip Yew Chong的作品, 位于中峇鲁。



No comments:

Post a Comment