Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Snake Skin Fruits (蛇皮果) - WW

20130317_212240[1]

Last Sunday, I was shopping for Thai condiments at Golden Mile Complex (the Little Thailand in Singapore) when I came across this weird looking fruit. This is Thailand's snake skin fruit.

The skin of the fruit is scaly like a snake and prickly like a cactus, but the inside is sweet and sour. Incredibly, it is juicy too. What an interesting fruit with a spectacular flavour. This exotic fruits grow on palm trees in little clusters.

It costs S$7 per kilogram.

Salak
Indonesia's Buah Salak, snake skin fruits

Indonesia has snake skin fruits which I love. The fruit is acidic and sweet but its texture is crunchy. My Indonesian friends who used to buy these exotic fruits for me, tell me the finest snake skin fruits are grown in Bali called Salak Gula Pasir (White Sugar Salak ). I agree, their skins are thinner and taste sweeter, juicier.

The elder Indonesians tell me that buah salaks are good for my brain, eyes, stomach and complexion.

Now, I buy my buah salaks in our NTUC supermarkets whenever I crave for them. Note : Do not eat too many buah salaks at one go as they can cause constipation. :P


29 comments:

  1. we call them rattan fruit in Sarawak. I remember seeing them in Singapore. The ones in Sarawak are sour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the first time I see this Thai snake skin fruit being sold in Singapore. I like the sweet and sour taste.

      Delete
  2. Amazing and strange looking heheh!

    Have a fruitastic week :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's an interesting fruit ! I have never seen that ! Wished I could taste it ! sounds and looks delicious !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I could send it to you. The friends I shared this fruit with say it has an unpleasant smell. I doubt it can be sent by air.

      Delete
  4. Wonderful! Yes, I like those exotic fruits, beautiful pictures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems there are some exotic fruits in my region which I have not discovered. :)

      Delete
  5. Oh I love buah salak too but seldom eat it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Now you made me feel like eating them haha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it is easier to get buah salak in Malaysia and cost cheaper too.

      Delete
  7. Wow what an interesting looking fruit, I have never before seen or heard of Thank you for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loooove them. Both fresh & the pickled ones. Yummy. :-)

    It's about RM5 a kg here, if bought at Pasar Malam or Pasar Tani. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are pickled ones? I will try to look for it in Johor Bahru. It costs much less in Malaysia.

      Delete
  9. i've heard of salak before but haven't tried these fruits yet. looks enticing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Try the Indonesian ones, it tastes like crunchy apples. I personally prefer the Indonesian buah salak..

      Delete
  10. you introduce me to many foods that i have never seen all so wonderful and makes me wish to taste them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish you could visit and I would bring you round to taste the foods. :)

      Delete
  11. I have never seen or heard of such a fruit. It has many personalities - prickly, scaly, sweet, and sour.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ohhhh buah salak! Long time no eat this fruit, I like it too! :)

    ReplyDelete